This is usually everybody’s favourite at the restaurant. My mother never make this dish at home, either because we don’t have the “sizzling hot plate”* or it’s so available at any restaurants therefore there is no need of cooking it at home.
After looking at the Japanese tofu for a long time at the Maastricht’s “Amazing Oriental” supermarket (what a name for a supermarket), I took a tube from the shelf although I had no idea how to make any dish with this tofu.
After some googling, I found the basic steps of making the sizzling Japanese tofu dish but hardly anybody uses the real “sizzling hot plate” because they just don’t have one at home. I really wanted the real sizzling effect and the slightly burn bottom of the eggs… so we decided to use our small/medium Le Crueset frying pan as our “hot plate”.
Ingredients (serving 2-4)
- 2 tubes of Japanese tofu – to open the packaging of the tofu, cut in the middle of the tube together with the plastic cover. Cut the tofu about 2cm thick. I cut mine too thin the first time not realise that tofu shrinks after being fried.
- 2 shiitake mushrooms – soaked in water until soften before cooking. I used warm water to soak it to shorten the process. Cut into small slices (if you are not sure, refer to my photo of the dish below).
- 150g minced meat – marinate for about 15 minutes with light soy sauce, oyster sauce, sugar, white pepper and corn flour.
- 2 eggs – whipped lightly with 1/2 teaspoon of light soy sauce
- 2 cloves garlic – chopped.
- Cooking oil – you will need quite a lot for the deep frying of tofu, 1 table spoon for stir frying minced meat and mushrooms and about 1 tablespoon for the eggs.
- 1 cup of water – for stir frying the minced meat and mushrooms.
Deep fry the tofu. Try to have the oil covering all surface of the tofu. You will see them slowly turn golden in colour. Take them out once golden and rest them on the kitchen towel to get rid some of the oil.
Now on a new pan/wok (or using the same that you have used to fry the tofu), add 1 tablespoon of oil on medium heat. Stir fry the garlic until fragrance, add the mushrooms and stir fry for about 30 seconds then add the marinated minced meat. Break up the minced meat while stir frying, add 1.5 cup of water. Keep stir frying until meat is cooked and taste if the sauce taste salty enough, otherwise add some salt.
At the same time, you should also heat up the “sizzling hot plate” on the stove. It should be very hot, then add in 1 tablespoon of oil, make sure you “oil” the whole surface of the sizzling hot plate. When the surface of the hot plate is really hot, add in the whipped eggs and reduce the heat from high to medium low. Add in the tofu (try to spread them), and quickly follow with pouring the just cooked minced meat and mushrooms over the top. The minced meat and mushroom should come with some gravy (effect of the 1.5 cup of water mixes with the corn flour used in marination).
Remove from heat and serve the dish on the sizzling hot plate.
Below photo will be the result. I had too little and too thin tofu therefore you don’t see them in the photo. Also had used too much mushrooms (4) in my first try so they hide my tofu well underneath.
Willem loves this dish but we have yet to make it again for our effort in reducing frying dishes in our meals. I was very happy that it tasted exactly what I have expected – just like the one served in restaurant!