Always been a bean sprouts eater. Especially like the bean sprouts they serve along with the chicken rice in Singapore. It took me a while to convince Willem that bean sprouts can be nice and tasty. He always says he does not taste anything interesting out of tofu or bean sprouts.
Bean sprouts are available in many places in Maastricht. You can get it from the “Amazing Oriental” supermarket underground of Mosae Forum, the little Asian store at the Markt few doors next to KFC or some times also available at the Wednesday/Friday market.
Remember when I was young, “plucking” bean sprouts roots has always been something we could help my grandmother with. The other chores includes processing anchovies, stirring the “kaya” (a sweet bread spread in Malaysia made from coconut milk and brown sugar), chopping meat in order to mince them, making wanton…etc Thanks to my grandmother, I have gained some little knowledge from the little tasks given though she always dislike me to hang around the kitchen when she was cooking.
I like my bean sprouts with some colours, they are too white, therefore I add carrots and some times red chilis into the dish.
Ingredients (for 2):
- 2 hands full of bean sprouts – remove roots
- Half a carrot – cut julienne (Julienne is a new term for me! It means to cut finely into strips)
- 2 cloves garlic – finely chopped
- 1 red chili (optional, for colour presentation and spice up the dish a little) – remove seed, either cut julienne or just like picture above
- 1/2 Scallions (optional for colour presentation) – cut julienne
- 1.5 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon of sesame oil
- 1.5 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon salt or more to taste
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
To shorten the cooking time of bean sprouts, I turn up the heat and add in a little water so that it creates steam and quickly cover the wok with a lid for about 20 seconds. I like my bean sprouts quite crunchy and fresh yet without the rawness.
Remove the lid and continue stir frying while adding salt, soy sauce, sesame oil, water, scallions and chili. Pick a bean sprout and have a bite, check when it’s cooked to your preference, serve on a plate.
Alternatively, you may also separately fry some chopped ginger, shallots and garlic until golden brown and serve them on top of the bean sprouts.