I have always list chicken as my least favourite meat, never order chicken in any restaurants unless I am in Kentucky Fried Chicken. I love the fried chicken from KFC, they did some justice to chicken meat really. Unfortunately Willem dislike fast food and the KFC in Maastricht has some really lousy fried chicken. Once I finally managed to beg my way to KFC in Maastricht, we had some worst fried chicken from KFC ever. We were so disappointed with the quality especially when we were sacrificing our health to eat the deep fried stuffs, Willem wrote to KFC to complain about the meal but they did not think there is anything wrong with their fried chickens. So, no more KFC for me unless we are driving over to the German outlet.
This roast chicken with couscous recipe was a success. I requested for it twice and on the third time, even volunteered to roast it myself although I had never used an oven before. Anything to do with oven or French or Italian cooking, Willem is normally the chef, I can only make the pasta after I been under his training several times.
Ingredients (we ate the whole chicken between the two of us, you may be able to share it among 3-4 if this is not the only thing you going to eat for lunch/dinner):
- Whole chicken (if you are not fuss, buy the ready marinate chicken from the supermarket, will save you some 5 minutes time)
- Some butter – for stuffing in between breast and skin
- 2-3 cloves garlic – finely chopped
- 150gram couscous
- Zest and juice of 1 orange
- Zest and juice of half lemon
- 2 handful of mixed dried fruits – raisins, berries, whatever you can find
- 1 handful of mixed nuts – any nuts you like, roughly crushed
- 1 handful of mint and parsley – roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup of water
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed
- 1/2 teaspoon of cumin seed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 twig of fresh rosemary, use only leaves
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
Mix items in blue in a bowl. I have cut my dried apricots and fruits into smaller pieces.
Rub the butter and garlic between the chicken skin and chicken breast, this will provide some moist to the usually dry breast and flavour to the blend breast.
Mix items in orange well and rub it all over the outer chicken. Stuffs the mixed couscous into the chicken until it’s full, use one of your left over orange skin to block the cavity of the chicken.
Pre heat your oven to 190 degree and leave the chicken in there for 1.5 hours. When it’s done, let the chicken rest for 5 minutes before serving.