Ordering any dish with scallops usually cost quite a fair bit in both Asia and Europe. I used to buy the frozen scallop in Singapore and make my own scallop dish if I feel like to have scallop. The frozen ones also look much bigger than what we got in Malaysian restaurants.
Here in Europe, I have had a few scallops in restaurants and they usually comes in a pair or just one (!) depending on the price, the more expensive, the less scallops I get. Not sure how the math works there.
The first good scallops came from a restaurant in Palermo, the apple and cardamom sauce was superb but everything else that night went down hill from the scallop starter. Second good scallop (yes, just one scallop as shown in picture) came from Istanbul the Gaja Restaurant in The Bosphorus Swissotel. I thank the chef for not over cooking the scallop which most French chefs like to do (over cooking the prawns and scallops), and the sauce was made from mushroom and beef stock, unusual with scallop but heavenly.
Everybody loves broccoli and scallops, if you do not fancy the mushroom, just leave it out of the dish.
Ingredients (for 4):
- 1 bowl of broccoli – cut it up and don’t waste the stem. Remove the outer layer of the stem and you can cut it into pieces and add into the stir fry.
- 6 shiitake mushrooms (more if they are small) – for easy eating you can cut them into half, but for presentation wise, whole is nicer. Soaked in warm water to soften before use (takes about 20 minutes), stem removed.
- 8 scallops
- 3 cloves garlic – roughly chopped
- 1.5 tablespoon of oil
- 1.5 cup water
- 1/2 tablespoon corn flour – mix well with 1 tablespoon warm water
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt (or more to taste)
Add the rest of the broccoli into the wok, stir fry for 10 seconds and add 1.5 cup of water let it boil and close the wok with a lid for 30 seconds. Continue to stir fry the broccoli, add the scallops when broccoli is almost cooked. Scallops do not take long to cook.
Add the oyster sauce and salt to taste. Add the corn flour mix and mix it well with the dish.
Serve when scallops are cooked.